Saturday, November 7, 2009

Not about school! (sort of)

So once again it's been a long time since I last wrote so I'm going to do a super lame list of the 10 most awesome-est things that I've done or had happen to me in the past 3 weeks (in no particular order... or maybe chronological order depending on how they come to me).

My friend Teshika and Pablo
1. Visiting Pablo's house - We went to Isla Negra a couple days before I started my excursion to the north and it was cloudy and cold but still super cool.  The house was described in the guide book as being Pablo Neruda's favorite house and I can totally see why, it's probably one of the coolest places I've visited in a while.  We couldn't take pictures in the house, which was totally lame but here are a couple from outside.  After visiting his house we had really yummmy empanadas and ice cream!

The house...
2. Saying goodbye to cerro Alegre/Concepcion - Although technically I was living in Viña del Mar during the last 8 weeks this was one of my favorite neighborhoods to explore in Valparaiso and a couple weeks previously I had seen a bag that stuck in my memory... Needless to say I really wanted to find is so when we were wandering around a couple days before leaving I was super excited to find it!! I ended up buying the bag, and getting driven to the bank by the owner to take out money to buy it! Definitely a memorable experience.

The store

"Yes we take credit cards... now get in my car"
3. Saying goodbye to my familia -  This one is a little sadder, I love my Viña family. They're great (I expecially realize that now that I am living with a family that I'm less than thrilled with) and even though I still have a week and a half left with them when I go back to Valparaiso before the end of the program, I'm super bummed that we didn't have more time together.  On the night before I left to go north they took me to "the best chorrillana place in valpo"which was literally down an alley/one of the greasiest places I've been in a while.

this wasn't taken the night I left but it's a pic of my sis, dad and bro
4. Landing in Iquique - It was surreal, I mean I knew we were going to the desert but I hadn't planned on the foggy moon-scape that we encountered.  It was super cool and I don't think picture do it justice but check them out...

the view leaving Iquique

on the "pampa" the desert out of the coastal fog
5. One of the coolest places I've ever peed... Maybe I shouldn't brag about this but I've peed in some pretty cool places.  On our drive from Arica up to Putre (sea level to about 11, 700 feet) we made a couple of stops.  One of these was at an old Aymara ruin site.  I really had to pee and after we walked around for a while I wasn't sure I could hold it until we got back to the bus.  So I ran, calmly (you can't do anything to fast at 10,000 feet when you're used to 0) to the top of the hill and well.... it was super dry so I'm betting my pee lasted all of 10 seconds before evaporating/absorbing.  I'm sure it's considered totally bad form to pee on ancient indigenous ruins but it was still really pretty and really cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment